What Should I Do if My Thermostat Doesn’t Work With My Furnace?
It’s frustrating when heating system components like your thermostat and furnace don’t function properly, especially on frigid winter days when you need them most. Most likely, your thermostat isn’t working with your furnace due to issues with your power supply, gas line, thermostat wiring, or another common maintenance issue.
Here are the most common causes of thermostat problems and the steps you can take to resolve the issue.
Common Causes of Thermostat Problems
Thermostats can be fickle when it comes to sending messages back and forth to your heating and cooling units and measuring the current temperature of your home.
These are a few common problems with standard and programmable thermostats. If you notice any of these issues, we recommend checking to see if you have a broken thermostat.
- A circuit breaker has tripped.
- There’s a problem with your main power supply.
- The backup batteries are drained.
- The date and time are incorrect (typical with programmable thermostats).
- Your new thermostat is incompatible with your furnace or other heating systems.
With the exception of the last scenario, these issues can be fixed without the help of a professional at the source of the problem. However, our local HVAC technicians are also available to provide these services.
Troubleshooting Thermostat & Furnace Issues
If you’ve ruled out the common thermostat issues listed above, the problem might be due to your furnace, duct system, or gas line. You’ll need to contact an HVAC services provider immediately if you notice the issues below.
Signs that your gas line is causing your thermostat to malfunction include:
- The pilot light is off or has turned an orange color.
- The gas valve or switch isn’t in its usual position.
- You or other family members are experiencing shortness of breath or headaches.
Signs that you have a clogged air filter, leaky duct, or full condensate pan include:
- You’ve noticed reduced airflow in an area of your home.
- Your furnace kicks on and off frequently (short-cycling).
- Every room in your home is incredibly dusty.
- You’ve seen unexplained increases in your utility and energy bills.
- You’ve noticed water puddles and wet walls around your home.
Trust Signature HVAC for Expert Thermostat Services
When you need thermostat repair or installation in West Chester, you can count on Signature HVAC. We offer 24/7 emergency services to ensure you have help when you need it. Our team of NATE-certified professionals service all furnace makes and models and can diagnose any issue to restore your comfort quickly, and we guarantee your 100% satisfaction.
Schedule thermostat installation or repair by contacting us online today.